Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The end is near!

Hello, all. All? Not sure who actually reads this anymore, but it's almost the last one. As I write this we are sixteen days from coming home, (so stay tuned for party announcements)and I still have stuff to share. Some improv, some people watching and another vacation tale.

Many moons ago I posted pictures of some improv theater I have done here in Japan, including our last show, Robin Hood. Well, Colleen has now joined the improv team and we are attempting to put on Cinderella in just one and a half weeks with only three rehearsals under our belts. Yikes! Hopefully we will have some pictures to post but with both of us in the show I'm not sure who will take them. In the mean time however I provide you with a video clip of our first show at the Kobe regatta and athletic club. One of the musicians that night actually taped the show and added titles and sound effects after. The clip features a scene by the Kobe team, and a scene by our very own Osaka team, the "Wild Bunch".



And while we are in the video mood, summer time in Osaka is always huge for festivals and fireworks. For several weeks it is common to see women (and some men) wearing yukatas on the trains and in the shopping malls as they meet with friends and make their way to the various festival locations. If you don't know what a yukata is, it's like a kimono (traditional Japanese robe) but much lighter (and cheaper) and is made for summer wear, whereas the kimono is for New Years and weddings. It really is a lot cooler looking than I can describe seeing all the beautiful patterns and material so last month I decided to head to one of the festivals and take some video with our new camera. When I think about it I felt a little like a stalker going down to the Tenjin Matsuri festival with a video camera with the intent of following women in their yukatas, but I assure you it was strictly for your sake so you could share in the festivities...honest. Have a look at this clip I put together.



We also took a short trip to visit our good friend Joe in Hamamatsu.

Hammamatsu Joe

On the way to Joe's we decided to stop in a few places in the neighboring prefecture of Mie. We saw the ninja museum in Iga (yes they have a town spelled just like the supermarket).

Ninja railing

The to our hotel in Shima, possibly the most deserted place we have seen since we've been here. I think it was the first time we actually had to look hard to find a restaurant. The next day we took off to Toba, to visit Mikimoto Pearl Island where we watched the women pearl divers gathering shells. We were fortunate enough to be treated to an English commentary that explained that only women were pearl divers because they have natural fat to insulate them and that some women worked with their husbands who would drive the boat and pull her up when she tugged the rope attached to her waist. The narrator stressed that these couples should have a good relationship though or he might not pull her up. After the show we headed to the gift shop and the museum to see all of the beautiful jewelry and pearl sculptures.

Pearl pagoda

Next we were off to Futami to see some rocks. Well not just any rocks, these rocks were special. There are two of them and they are located along the shore. Once a year the local people tie the rocks together with a long rope to symbolize the bond (bondage?) of marriage. It's funny because that's exactly how I picture marriage. In the ocean with a rope tied to you and the other end to a large rock. Please have a look at the picture while I get something to stop the flow of blood from my head (Colleen has remarkable aim when she's reading over my shoulder).

Wedded rocks2

I'm feeling a little dizzy, but I'll continue. After Futami we were off to Ise shrine. A very holy place that is located in two mirror sights a few kilometers from each other. These buildings each have large empty spaces located next to them as they are rebuilt in the empty space every 20 years using ancient architectural techniques. This is a gate leading to one of the sites. I don't know the people in the picture but they wouldn't move so I added them to my collection.

Ise shrine gate

By the time we had finished there the sun was going down and it was time to catch a high speed train and head to Joe's house in Hamamatsu. We spent two days with the old guy where we drank generously and did some shopping and visited Hamamatsu Jou (Jou being the Japanese word for castle oddly enough). Much fun was had by all and when the weekend was up we got on a non-high speed train and spent several hours making the trek back to Osaka. To see all of our pictures from Mie, please click here. To see our photos of that Joe guy and his tiny little apartment click here.

I hope to see my fellow Canadians soon, and remember to keep the 23rd. open on your calendars, there will be more info to come. I leave you now with some more pictures of the strange and amazing.

Hugs and Kicks, Carl.

Pepsi Carnival

Gross toys

Feel Make

2 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger CHIC-HANDSOME said...

wahoo,this is good life

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger RedWritingHood said...

Oh you are so NOT a marriage-phobe you big faker. Now MY husband on the other hand... well, here's a picture of him about an hour before we got married. I call it 'Oh My Gosh I Can't Breathe':
www.heather-cook.com/images/deer_in_the_headlights1.JPG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home